Thursday, January 8, 2009

Taking the plunge



While I was sitting at the local Firestone this morning waiting for my car to finish getting inspected, I decided to catch up on some podcasts put out by Chase Jarvis. He's an incredible high end photographer who mostly does sports related work. On this particular podcast, he and two other photographers were discussing the importance of having a web log to supplement their web sites. So I started thinking about why I don't have one, why I would need one, and if I did have one what would be on it?

I decided to take the plunge, give it a spin and see where it goes. My primary goal is not really to increase traffic to my own web site, but to motivate myself to take more pictures (of course I'll welcome any increase in traffic). Lately I've felt like I've been in a rut...my photo jobs seem to come in spurts and in between I'm not taking many pictures. My last big"spurt" was during the holidays and since then I haven't been doing much. Actually I haven't taken a single picture yet this year! Hopefully, trying to maintain a blog will change that somewhat.

My intentions are not to be entirely about my photography, but really about anything and everything and incorporating my work into that. I'm thinking I'll do some posts regarding a recent shoot I just had, or do a post about some of my favorite tiki locations and include some of my photos. Sounds boring? Time will tell.

To start with, the photo above is my daughter Julia taken in 2007. This is the first pic currently on my web site and in my portfolio.

I specialize in black and white photography and that's all you'll find in my portfolio. I do plenty of color photography, but black and white is really my passion. As one of my photography instructors once said, "A color photograph will show you how something looks. A black and white photograph will show you what something is." That sums up my passion for b&w.

Currently I'm redoing my portfolio and I'm not sure if this one will make the cut. It's almost the style I'm going for, but not quite. More about that later.

and I'm off...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home