Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2000 Pictures, part 1

Last summer I took a class on "seeing creatively." The first assignment was to go out and take 2000 pictures in b&w at one focal length and a fixed aperture. The goal of this exercise was to help define your style. I knew what my style was already so I just decided to have some fun with it. I found that there was just no way I could take 2000 pictures of just people, so I took pictures of just about everything else I saw.

Toward the end of the assignment, I found that the vast majority of my pictures did not have people in them. So, I dragged my daughter down to a development in the Stonebridge area of Mckinney known as Adriatica. I took about 200 pictures of her just walking around, goofing off and having fun, but caught some really interesting poses. I was able to catch these because I was focusing on volume, not posing. I tried to compose the shots quickly since she never stayed in one area too long.


As per the rules of the exercise, all of these were taken with the same focal length and aperture. I chose my 50mm and shot wide open at f1.8.




She sure looks mad in this one. It was just an expression I happened to catch while trying to take as many pictures as I could:



Usually when someone blinks I delete the picture, but in this one she looks like she's deliberately closing her eyes:


Obviously I have many, many more pictures from this exercise which I'll post in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home