Monday, February 2, 2009

Limbs, part 3

NOW, we're getting somewhere.

This time, I went out on a clear day. I found some trees early in the morning that were getting full sun. I shot the same way and made sure there were no clouds. Then in Lightroom, I converted the images to grayscale, tweaked the exposure up just a bit, and then adjusted the blue mix waaaay down. The result was a light tree against a dark sky, giving it an almost infrared look. This is very close to what I was picturing when I first had the idea.

Two things were important. First, the pictures needed to be taken within 10-15 minutes of each other to take advantage of the same light. After I did these I drove to the Heard Museum again but could not get similar results because the light had changed. Second, the sky has to be perfectly blue and clear. That makes it easier to adjust just the blue channel in Lightroom giving it that infrared look. Again, when I tried to take similar pictures at a different location, time had passed, the light had changed and the sky wasn't the same shade of blue anymore.

The only thing that bothers me with these is the the shadows being cast by other branches. Apart from that, I might have the images I need to complete the project.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home