Friday, February 27, 2009

No Flash in the Author's Chair

I LOVE it when I don't have to use a flash!

Flash's are usually too harsh and very hard to control. In low light situations you'd be better off shooting with a wide aperture if you can. When outdoors I sometimes use a very subtle fill flash just to fill in some shadows or to make a key light visible in the subjects eye, but in a situation where I have little control (like in my daughters school) I hate using it.

Of course, using a higher ISO setting will increase the cameras sensitivity to light which also helps in low light situations. But with a Nikon D80, you can't really go higher than ISO 400 without getting a grainy image. I don't care what the manual or the "experts" say, that's the limit of the D80. I usually try to stay at either 100 (the lowest setting) or 200.

Anywho, yesterday my daughter's 4th grade class was doing something called "Author's Chair" where each student sits in a rocking chair in the school library and reads a story they wrote to parents, staff and other students. I noticed that the florescent lights were pretty bright in the library so I figured I'd try my 50mm f1.8 without the flash and see how it looked. I had the ISO set at 200.

Since my 50mm lens is a prime lens and not a zoom, I was constantly moving around trying to get a better shot. Some of the kids were distracted and my wife had warned me to try to stay in one seat, so I alternated between two different positions and then cropped the pictures after I got them home. I thought the results were not too bad for going flash-less.



The new Canon 5D Mark II reportedly can get up to ISO 6400 without being noisy. The camera is $2700 just for the body. I don't have any Canon lenses so I'd have to invest in that too. Altogether I'd be looking at.......well, I'd probably have to sell my car. For now, I'm saving my pennies and cutting my Starbucks visits.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Great post, Love the bokeh on the lens. I have a 50mm f1.4 that I love.

that 5D is a sweet camera but outside my budget. Plus those are huge files to download and fool around with in lightroom and photoshop. I am sticking with my Canon 50d for a while before I move on to one of those full frame monsters

February 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

I bought the D80 when it first came out...didn't do enough research I guess. The ISO limitations on that camera is it's biggest limitation in my opinion. The 50D would have been perfect for me when I ended up buying the D80. I wasn't sure how seriously I was going to get into this at the time.

The new 5D is 21 megapixels which is crazy...most people don't need files that big. BUT, I'd really like to have full frame, and the 1D is WAAAAY out of my budget. My big problem is it's going to cost me 5K+ to move from Nikon to the Canon 5D and the lenses I want plus a flash. YIKES! Of course, my wife will have none of it.

February 27, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home