Thursday, April 2, 2009

2000 Pictures, part 5




I haven't included an entry about this exercise in over a month, so here's a quick review.

Last year I took a class about thinking creatively in photography. Our first assignment was to take 2000 pictures in one week. Sounds easy, but it wasn't.

I decided to follow our dog around one afternoon in an effort to get some more shots since I wasn't even halfway to 2000.


Our dog's name is Pepper and he's a Carolina dog (also known as the "American Dingo"). We found him at the local SPCA in 2003. He's great with the kids and is afraid of house flies if they're actually in the house. If they're outside he usually eats them.  

For this series I followed Pepper around the backyard. I just took random shots of him doing whatever he happened to be doing. It made me just sort of observe his behavior. An interesting life this dog leads, as I imagine all dogs do.  One thing I've noticed about trying to take pictures of an animal...they don't like to pose and never smile. Every shot is a candid shot when you're taking pictures of a dog. They don't even mind if you take a picture of them while they're fertilizing the lawn. At least Pepper didn't mind.  He seemed to enjoy my company and never seemed to mind me taking pictures.

I managed to grab a couple of interesting shots while he was shaking himself off after running around (is there a word for that?).  I was able to catch his head in these strange contorted positions that the human eye can't really isolate when it's happening.  







What a hard life a dog leads. All the free lunch you can eat and you can sleep whenever or wherever you want.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Wow, that sounds like an interesting exercise. I think I will try that out. Would you mind sharing with me what class you took and where?

Thanks!

April 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home